Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Power of a Sixth Sense and the Power of Contentment



A few weeks ago Mr. M and I went on a quick date. We have been trying to go out weekly. Which can actually pose many challenges. This particular week I had scheduled a babysitter for a week/school night and so we had about 1 hour. I thought maybe a yogurt and a trip around the block and back home again. Mr. M had another idea...the library. It was such a fun date, even though we ended up spending most of our hour individually perusing books in different sections of the library. It was on this library date that I found a golden treasure. It is a book called Hannah Keeley's Total Mom Makeover: The Six-Week Plan to Completely Transform Your Home, Heath, Family and Life. It screamed at me to pick it up and I have been working on my total transformation for the last few weeks. I could go on for several blog posts about how much this book as truly benefited my life and helped me to create a clear vision for my career choice of motherhood.


Today however I want to share one of my exercises for today because it was powerful. She was talking about including your 5 senses in your home and increasing the beauty and peace you find. Then she came to what she turned her "Sixth Sense" " More information is communicated through your sixth sense than through all your other sense combine3d. Your environment can look taste, smell, sound and feel great, but if you don have a spirit of gratitude, something will feel a bit off."


And here is my favorite part..."You bless your home in powerful ways when you first consider it a blessing to you and your family. Even if it is not your "dream house," begin right now to appreciate those wall that enclose you and the roof that keeps you sheltered.....Let your gratitude permeate every nook and cranny of where you life, and it will light up your home with beauty."


I sat reading today and realized how powerful this statement truly is. I can decorate and fill, beautify and improve my surroundings but until I can recognize the blessings and focus on my gratitude I will not truly be comfortable or content where I am.


For me this rings true. I have a small home with many people. I often view this as a challenge instead of being thankful for the opportunities my children are learning to share and become closer together. Of the skills I have learned in organizing and simplifying. Of the considerably lower mortgage payment we have which will hopefully help us to better achieve our financial goals. I live on a busy street and don't feel comfortable letting my kids play in our front yard by themselves and because of my location we do not readily have lots of kids nearby. Again I realized I could see the blessings in my children learning how to work on friendships and find creative things to do in our home and our backyard. They are diligent about not going in the road and have learned how to be observant when they are out in the front. All skills that are useful and will benefit them in the future.


There is great power in using our sixth sense. Power in finding contentment even in not so desirable circumstances. How do you find gratitude in your surroundings? I would love to hear your input.


For more information on Hannah Keeley go here.


Have a wonderful Tuesday.


Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment