Monday, June 13, 2011

Some Beauty in the Evening


I really should be in bed right now. I have spent the last week re-reading the book North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. It is an amazing book. It discusses complex political issues dealing with classes, unions and various stereotypes that if we care to analyze closely I believe we still face today. In the middle of all that she weaves a beautiful and powerful love story. Once again I have been captivated this week by her moving, lovely words. I love reading my favorite books and I completely enjoy then sitting down and and partaking of them visually. The BBC did a masterful job of presenting this book and it has become one of my favorite movies.

If you haven't seen it you should. If you haven't read the book you should. If you don't want a spoiler don't watch the clip above, but let me just say in my opinion it is the best on screen kiss I have ever seen. So tonight I leave you with the poignant and stunning ending to North and South.

Happy Dreams.

1 comment:

  1. I love this book and this movie. It is one of my favorites. "Kiss of a stranger", and "The Blue Castle" are wonderful. I love reading them and do so every so often.

    ReplyDelete