Thursday, February 24, 2011

Pirates Arrrrgh Aboard

The Homestead is a great house, with just under 1500 square feet. We have to maximize every use of our space but I we also have fun creating fun things for our space. I love letting my kids get involved in the planning especially when it comes to their bedrooms. When we started having Thing 1 and Thing 2 share a room I let them pick a theme. Pirates was their choice. So the following are some of the fun things we did to make their space full of all things Pirates.
We also are on a tight budget. Like maybe $40 with bedding. Below we used this picture frame from IKEA. I had the anchor and the netting that I had found on a Clearance Wreath a few years ago. I pulled them off to use in other decorating. I used burlap that I had copied this quote and used my light board to write it on with a sharpie. The background is Pirate wrapping paper I found at Seagull Book for $1 a roll. The quote is actually two quotes I combined from Harry Potter it says:

Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right....
For it is our choices that show what we truly are more than our abilities. Prof. Dumbledore.

I put the compass in the middle to remind them to make good choices. Total: $1





This map/wall hanging I picked up for free. A friend of mine was moving and gave it to me. I knew I could use it for something. It is made of felt and is lightweight and perfect for this space. Total: $0

I wanted a banner of some kind and was planing on making one but found this part banner at Hobby Lobby for $4. It was just what I wanted for this room.

Total: $4
These pirate hats were 3 for $1 at JoAnn's fabric. I used the same wrapping paper and then just made signs the top says Captain....Boys Name and then underneath A Pirate's Life for Me. The frames we had they are from IKEA and they hang on either side of the window. The Boys love them. I love their magnet board from IKEA we have had this for awhile. They can put things they draw up in their room.


Total: $1


We love this book and have had it for awhile. I read it in my best Pirate and say things like skalleywag and arghh a lot. Thing 1 put it up on his shelf.
Total: $0



This summer we went to Cherry Hills Water Park and picked up this little sign that says "No Trespassing Pirates Only." I already had the life ring from a previous decorating.
Total: $5

I would have loved to get the boys the Potter Barn Kids Pirate bedding, but it wasn't in my budget. I kept Thing 1's bedspread but found this PB Kids pillow at Down East for $4. It has another name embroidered on it which I just carefully unpicked. I found this Jolly Roger inspired fleece at JoAnn's on clearance and the last part of the bolt. He loves this blanket.

For Thing 2 I dug around at Down East to find another one like above but none were to be had. So I picked up this pillow sham also a PB kids unpicked the name and embroidered this pirate ship. I just found a pirate coloring page online and then used my light board to transfer the lines unto my fabric. I actually love how it turned out.

Total: $8 - pillow shams
$2 - fabric for embroidery.
I had to include this picture. Thing 1 loves to draw. Several years ago he drew this picture of Jesus for his room. I love it and he loves having it up in his room.
So I already had these chairs. They are from IKEA and I found them in the as is section on clearance and just cleaned them up. I added the vinyl lettering that I did up on my Silhouette. The table is actually the top section of shelf we weren't using. Thing 1 instantly saw it as a Lego building table. The Ship Wheel in the corner I picked up from DI for $3. It is fun for the kids to play with.
Total: $3 Pirate Wheel
Grand Total: $24
The best part of this room is that my boys love it and they helped me in creating items in it.
Hope you are having a wonderful Week.
Emily

1 comment:

  1. You are so frugal and creative! I love how you can do amazing things with the space you have and make it all look so adorable! You are definately inspiring me! I won't be doing any room redo's until we combine the girls in one room- probably in the fall! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete