Thursday, February 17, 2011

Finding My Creative Voice

I have a personal blog that started out as my own and has evolved into my family blog and so became private by invitation only. This blog began because I felt a need to have a place where I could just focus on the things I love, the things I enjoy, and the things that spark my creativity. Over the past year I have found so many blogs that are full of brilliant creativity, and in the process of perusing others ideas I found I started to doubt my own. So many of the blogs I see have thousands of followers, they post daily with new creative ideas. I find sometimes I barely can get a shower in during the day, plus trying to stay on top of homework, laundry, bathrooms, serving others, and although I love to create things sometimes it is only once a month and even then it seems to be simple in comparison. I don't have the budget to craft everyday, and quite honestly I don't have the desire. I don't really know how to use power tools and find it a challenge to learn with a curious 2 1/2 year old trying to help in all I do. My husband is wonderful, but he doesn't jump right on board with my projects and doesn't really have time to help me either. I don't really sew although I love fabric. I don't scrapbook, but love paper. At every turn I have felt lacking and so have remained silent.

I realized the other day that this has nothing to do with anyone else. This is about me having a place to go, a haven where I can voice my thoughts and ideas. One of my favorite blogs is Joys of Home, mostly because she is very real. A few months ago she posted this quote, "Comparison is the thief of joy" I have found this to be true.

One of my goals this year was to find my voice. As a mother of three, a daughter, a wife, a sister and a friend I have many titles with many voices, but the voice I feel like I haven't heard in a awhile is that of Emily. So this next year is going to be a bit of an exploration for me to find my voice. This blog is a tool for me to do that, so if you are reading this I hope you will come with me on my journey and see where it leads.

Emily

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure that your voice is already there, you just need to turn up the volume a bit. Wishing the best of luck on your journey to do so and remember to have fun along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily. I think you're doing wonderfully!
    It can be disheartening when you see other blogs with amazing photos and bloggers who seem to have copious amounts of time to craft. I can totally relate to you there. But push through. You have great ideas here!

    I just found your blog googling "Curious George". My son has a birthday soon and I'm planning a party. I love your banana split station idea!

    I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete